Music is the thing that expresses the words we can not say, and lets out the feelings that would otherwise be held down and [c h a i n ed].

Friday, February 23, 2007

Lexicographer-ing. Part One.

A few days ago, in English class, Mr. Watson assigned us literacy circles with a twist. So I self assigned myself for the job of Lexicographer. My job is read the required text pages and then locate words that are hard to describe. Tonight's read is pages 19-27; chapter White Tigers; book, Woman Warrior. The words that I am finding the definition for are words that I might know in my vocabulary, but was curious to see what different contexts the word could refer to. My source from which I am finding my defintions is from an online dictionary, google and a site called http://www.answers.com.

PAGE 19:

  • Swordswoman: A trained sword fighter that is a women, a fencer.
  • White Crane Boxing: a martial art. Here's a site I found. It has a thorough history of this type of boxing.
  • Shao-lin: type of martial art combined with buddhism.
  • alighted:to come down from, to rest in a certain spot.

PAGE 20:

  • Fa Mu Lan: fictional, real female figure in chinese history. Want to know more?
  • ideograph: a pictorial symbol.

PAGE 23:

  • avenge: to get revenge for someone or yourself.

PAGE 24:

  • timberline: the point in a landmass where timber halts its line of growth.

No comments: